Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Blackberry mangles personal communication!

Okay, okay, the title is a little inflammatory, but the Blackberry seems to be having a similar impact on communication between people that email did when it first became a business tool. Don't get me wrong, I think that the latest models of the Blackberry are pretty nifty gadgets, but more and more of my email interaction is with folks that use a 'berry, and believe me, the message is getting seriously trashed by the medium. Maybe a "Hints and Tips For New Blackberry Users" is in order? Here's a few things I'd include:
  • Email supports separate Subject and Message fields, so don't feel limited by what you can squeeze into the Subject field
  • Sometimes a YES or NO answer won't convey all the information required to answer a question posed to you
  • Absence of punctuation can often be overlooked by a reader, but the more complete your sentences are the less ambiguous they are

Yeah, I am on a bit of a rant here, but don't even get me started on the impact Blackberries have on in person meetings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home